Tuesday, December 18, 2007

GPs (General Practitioners)

I buy medicines over the counter or ask the pharmacist on-duty for medication such as colds and fever. Then I just rest at home to gain back my health.

I only see a doctor when I feel something is wrong with my body. Recently I went to see a doctor due to running nose. Of course, the doctor asked the obvious question, and I had to tell him what's wrong with me.

Usually doctors will measure the blood pressure, and use the stethoscope to hear the sound from our body.

What really annoyed me was the way the doctor used the stethoscope. To listen for a sound inside a body is for the scope to be stationed in one part of the body and listen carefully for a particular sound. But seems like GPs tend to keep the scope moving from one place to another. I thought that the scope didn't even stopped moving in a second. How can a GP diagnose properly if he didn't even hear any sound from your body?

I rarely see a doctor, so I wouldn't know if this is just for this particular doctor, or everybody is just doing this way. I'm not a doctor, but my logic tells me that in order to pick out the sound for symptoms you have to pause the scope in a particular place and ask the patient to do a deep breath. At least that's what I experienced when our school physicians did a physical checkup.

Well, I just hope that this type of GP is rare, and that others give a good professional service to their paying patients.

No comments: