Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Comfort Zone

Each one of us is looking for a comfort zone in life especially when we're getting older. But in this information age and very competitive, we need to upgrade ourselves to meet current and future challenges, otherwise we would left behind.

I happened to take up a project to modify/patch an application. User requirements need major overhaul of the system. After about four (4) weeks of labour, I was happy to hand-over my work. Of course to collect what I suppose to earn.

I discussed the changes casually with my client, how it's being implemented and limitations. I told them what the difficulties were in implementing the new requirements. That was the time I realized that the person supposedly doing the modification was not comfortable doing it.

He was already comfortable with all the codes modifying it from time to time. Discussing with him how the modification should be done, I heard all 101 reasons not to. So since they're my clients, then I have to circumvent and more diplomatic on discussing things like it.

Having the comfort zone, he became reluctant on implementing any modification that may affect the whole system. No wonder they engaged a third-party to make the changes.

Well, if they're not that reluctant then I couldn't make extra money.

No comments: