Sunday, August 5, 2007

Talking to a Machine

I recently fixed a computer with faulty hard disk drive. The only solution to make it work was to replace the hard drive, and reload all the applications starting from Windows operating system.

Reloading of Windows was thought to be a breeze coz everything was available. But then activating Windows or registering it to Microsoft through internet surprised me. After entering serial numbers, system prompted me for new activation numbers which also showed a phone number to call.

An answering machine picked up my call. I think most of us, oriental people, don't like to talk to machine, even we refuse or hesitant to leave a message to a voice mail. Yet, I got this dilemma if I continue talking to the machine.

I chose to talk to the machine just to get things done and over with the task on hand. The machine was quite good, and can even recognize my none english-speaking heavy accented voice. I was relieved that a person's voice took over at the other end to get the information I wanted.

Really talking to the machine was a bit annoying, but getting things done was the bottom line. So, I had no choice but to communicate through it.

No comments: